Wednesday, April 10, 2002

 
A colleague of mine gave me Blink 182's "Enema of the State" (MCA/1999) to listen to. I love the cover art (nurse! nurse!). But there's a real disconnect between the look and sound of the band. The look--frat boy Chili Peppers--suggests something a little rougher...wait, maybe not. I get it now. The inside photo (Bermuda shorts, tattoos, one guy skinny and another pot bellied) indicates they're a Chili Peppers parody...maybe even tribute band. Their song is good...I mean that, song--one after the other, the song remains the same. The singing's lightweight, but the guitars have some crunch. My colleague, who is going to see the Blinkers with Green Day tomorrow night in NYC, likes their pep and Ramones-like tempos. But Blink 182 is Bubblegum Bop to the Ramones' "Blitzkrieg Bop." In other words, gabba-gabba. Not!





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?