Saturday, August 27, 2005

 

Matt Pond Sips Champagne

I was listening to "Champagne Supernova," the most plaintive of Oasis songs, in a version by matt pond PA.
You may not know matt pond PA; I hardly know them myself. What I've heard before I've liked, but growth potential is probably limited by the awkward band name, a name that almost defiantly insists that the act will swim only in the alternative pond until the pond dries up. However. The otherwise so-so "Music from the OC Mix 4" compilation concludes with matt pond's symphonic take on "Champagne Supernova," which they turn into the generational anthem Oasis couldn't decide it should be. In terms of capturing the spirit of its time, it's comparable to Thunderclap Newman's 1969-1970 recording "Something in the Air."

(c) Wayne Robins. 2005. Comments welcome.


Google News





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?